"Pilgrim, on your journey
You may travel far,
For pilgrim it's a long way
To find out who you are..." - Enya
If mothering is a journey, then conscious mothering is taking the high road.
The way up is steep and difficult but the view is incomparable and from up here you can see very clearly.
'On a clear day you can see forever'
Parenting is not a duty. It is a privilege and and opportunity; A journey of self-discovery.
Parenting can be seen as a tool to self-discovery and growth. This is what raises it from mundane daily routines and drudgery and elevates it to its true divine status.
When the kids push your buttons you are being presented with the lessons you need to learn. Therefore motherhood is an opportunity for growth.
The challenge is to keep in touch with your centre wherever you are - every day.
Remember, you cannot change what is over but you can decide where you will go from here.
Spiritual journeys are not about reaching the destination - for when you reach the destination the journey is over - they are all about how you travel.
- Patiently and with a smile on your face
- Enjoying the moment and living in the now
- Remembering always your calm, inner centre, but forgiving yourself when you forget.
- Working on self - reading, meditating
- Being open to learning from kids - seeing them as your spiritual equals
- Growing as you help your kids grow
- Being open to self-correction, flexibility
- Self-questioning, examining, how can I get better?
- Self-care, balance, health
- Focusing on your child's uniqueness and applying your own uniqueness and creativity to life.
The journey into Motherhood can be seen as a 'breaking open'.
We have to be willing to go through the pain and struggle of the changes that motherhood brings with it in order to be able to break through and show our fullest potential and our hidden splendour, like a butterfly coming out of its cocoon.
Like a chick breaking out of its shell, no one can do it for us. We must be willing to struggle on in order to become the magnificent bird or butterfly that we truly are.
Then we can spread our wings and begin to learn to fly.
- May your journey be long and take you far.
- May you travel well.
- May you spread love on your journey.
- May you enjoy every step along the way.
- May you be lead down the road that leads to You.
- May you learn on your journey and grow into the fullness of who you truly are.